More Transforming Reads
Reading is transforming, but it is also time consuming. I was sure I would add books to my Transforming Reads List regularly, but that assumed I would be reading books to add.I am pleased to share a few more books that I believe could have great impact on your life. Some I have read in the past—long ago, or not so long ago. Others I have read recently. Of course, these barely scratch the surface of my “to read” list, which grows even more quickly as I can add them to my Kindle with the touch of a button.Enjoy—and may you be transformed.
Books from My Past
- Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard—the book I turned to repeatedly in my young Christian life at times of emotional distress
- Making of a Man of God by Alan Redpath—a motivating look at the life of David
- Tapestry by Edith Schaeffer—a powerful vision of God at work in lives, families, generations
Making Me Think
- A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life by Donald Miller--a funny and challenging call to living a better story
- “Are Women Human?” Essay by Dorothy L Sayers—a witty, thought-provoking and convincing look at what women can contribute
- Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit by Francis Chan—an important emphasis on the Holy Spirit—almost like reading Bill Bright again
- Half the Church: Recapturing God’s Global Vision for Women by Carolyn Custis James—a compelling look at God’s call to His daughters to impact the world—I will give many away!
- Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt—a convicting read on the meaning of true discipleship
Strengthening My Soul
- Abba’s Child: The Cry of the Heart for Intimate Belonging by Brennan Manning—a call to be enfolded into the love of our Father
- Objects of His Affection: Coming Alive to the Compelling Love of God by Scotty Smith—profoundly impacted my understanding of God’s love for me
- One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp—a beautiful call to a life of gratitude
- Ruthless Trust: The Ragamuffin’s Path to God by Brennan Manning—great insights into what it means to trust God
- Treasured: Knowing God by the Things He Keeps by Leigh McLeroy—Leigh is a master of words and the Word, cutting deeply yet gently to soul issues
Widening My World
- A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman by Lisa Shannon—a tale of horror and hope for women in Congo
- Half the Church: Recapturing God's Global Vision for Women by Carolyn Custis James--a powerful call to women to be the difference in our world
- Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace…One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson—a story of peace and a future through education for girls
Lives That Inspire
- Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Prophet, Martyr, Spy by Eric Metaxas—a biography of a true hero
- Out of the Far Corners: An Epic Tale of Rejection, Grace and Deliverance by Peter Iliyn—Peter honors his father and the difficult journey he took as a Russian orphan across the world, filled with gratitude in the face of great challenges.
- Thin Places: A Memoir by Mary DeMuth--a raw and courageous telling of pain and redemption in her life.
My New Book
- Secrets of Success: God’s Lifelines by Judy Douglass—A gift book to help students learn how to make right choices for their lives.
May you discover new worlds and uncover deep secrets in these lives and stories!