A Week of Giving Thanks--All Year
I think Thanksgiving is far more than a day a year. For me practicing it every day, in every circumstance, is life changing. I am leaving for Texas tomorrow to spend this celebration week with family, including four grandboys. I would rather spend time with them than writing blog posts. So every day this week, on my Facebook and Twitter accounts, I will post something I have written previously about giving thanks. Starting with this litany of 21 things I am grateful for. May you discover deeper gratitude to God in this Thanksgiving week.
I love that many nations set aside a day to say “Thank You” to God, who continues to provide for us in remarkable ways. I have decide to make sure I am reflecting on God’s goodness to me and my family, so 3 times a day during this Thanksgiving week I will thank God for one of the specific blessings He has given me.
Here is the list I have, though it is meager compared to God’s great generosity. I’m sure I will be reminded of many more things to be thankful for and will be on my knees, even on my face, expressing my gratitude.May you be blessed as you say “Thank You, Lord” for things like this:
1. God’s relentless pursuit rescued me and redeemed me and restored me.
2. God sings a love song to me, with one verse telling the good news that Jesus died to give me abundant and eternal life.
3. God is God–sovereign, and God is good–always looking for ways to do good to me.
4. When I was a foreigner and alien, God adopted me as a child in His own family.
5. God remembers that I am dust, and has mercy on me.
6. Jesus sent His Holy Spirit to live in me and remind me of all that He taught while He was here on earth.
7. God gives mercy for the past, grace for the present and hope for the future.
8. I have the most amazing, loving, Christ-like and fun husband in the world.
9. I love having my delightful children and their spouses as friends!
10. My grandchildren are beautiful, brilliant and so much fun.
11. The Holy Spirit comforts, encourages, teaches and empowers—all that I need to live the Christ-life.
12. The Father has extended an open invitation to talk with Him anytime—about what’s on my heart and His heart.
13. I have a place to live, clothes to wear, food to eat–more than enough–so I can share with others.
14. Truth that was embodied in Jesus is transforming my mind via the Spirit.
15. God asked me to be His partner in building His Kingdom.
16. I have good health that enables me to keep serving God all over the world!
17. I get to work with remarkable people who love and follow Jesus.
18. My church is filled with women and men who are seeking to be True Followers of our Savior.
19. Many hard things/times in my life have caused me to throw myself completely into the loving arms of my Father.
20. God doesn’t let me settle for the easy and comfortable, but always calls me to the MORE He has for me.
21. As long as God leaves me here on earth, He still has a plan to use me to touch lives for Him.
What about you? What are you thankful for?
c2010, 2013 Judy Douglass