Prodigal Prayer Day 6: 10 Reasons to Keep Hoping
How do you keep hoping in the battle?
This is the sixth post in a weekly series of mini-devotionals on HOPE, which is the theme of the 2016 June 2 Worldwide Prodigal Prayer Day. This letter goes to the members of the Prayer for Prodigals community, but it is true for all of us
Dear Lover of Prodigals,
It feels like we live in a battlefield, doesn’t it? That we have a relentless enemy, pursuing us and our loved prodigals. It seems that every step in a good direction is followed by two in the wrong direction.It feels hopeless.
It feels that way because we do have an enemy, and he is determined to capture our wayward ones and take us down:
“Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8)
But it’s not hopeless.
Our God has given us many promises that we can keep hoping even as we fight for our loved ones on our knees. These 10 assurances from God will lift you above the battlefield to see that He is with you and working for your prodigal.
Resist the Enemy
1. God is on our side: “If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31)
2. God holds us and our loved ones tightly: I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. (John 10:28)
3. God never abandons us: “The lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” (Deuteronomy 31:8)
Receive God’s Assurances
4. God fights for us: So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
5. God hears and answers: “I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. (Psalm 34:4)
6. God's love is unfailing and forever: “For I am convinced that neither death not life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, not any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:38)
7. God is always with us: “…God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’” (Hebrews 13:5)
8. God is still working: “Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 1:6)
9. God gives new hearts: “I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. Then they will follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. They will be my people, and I will be their God.” (Ezeki el 11:19 -20)
10. God’s goodness will prevail: “I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD. (Psalm 27:13-14)
Even in the darkest days or the fiercest battles, our God is there beside us, strengthening us, sustaining us. And equally He is there for our loved ones, pursuing, wooing, reminding, loving them to Himself.
With much hope,
What about you? What helps you to keep hoping?
c2016 Judy Douglass
A Different Kind of Hope for BrokenHearted Parents from Tom and Dena Yohe
If you would be interested in requesting prayer for a prodigal loved one, or being a part of our wonderful praying community, respond in comments or write to me at PrayerforProdigals at gmaildotcom.