Words of My Life: Prayer
In ongoing celebration of my Jubilee year of 50 years in ministry and 70 years of life, I am sharing some of the words of my life. This word reflects my desperate need for God.
I write about prayer, I talk about prayer, I pray a lot.
Yet I often feel like such a hypocrite when it comes to prayer.
Prayer is such a mystery to me. I know I don’t pray as much as people think I do. I seldom see the answers I would hope to see.
Yet I keep praying. I can’t help it. Here are a few reasons why:
1. God Himself desires fellowship with me!!!!!!!!! How can I turn that down!?
2. I am so grateful for what God has done for me, so I respond to His love and desire to be with me.
3. I am desperate--in my own sinfulness, inadequacy, unworthiness. He is the only way to forgiveness and hope and purpose.
4. When I listen to Him--through His Word, in stillness and quietness--He lavishes love and grace and affirmation on me. And gives me wisdom and guidance and courage.
5. The work of God is done on our knees. Then we go find out what happened. I want to be a part of what God is doing.
6. The task of living the Christ-life is way beyond me--I must go to Him.
7. I have so many people I want Him to touch--I must keep bringing them to Him.
8. The world is so dark and lost. He is the light and the way.
9. Satan is a roaring lion, seeking to devour, deceive, and destroy. He loves to go after God’s servants, and especially their children. I feel compelled to stand against him, and the best way to do that is kneeling.
10. I recognize my own total dependence on God for everything in my life and ministry. Prayer is the way I express that dependence and access His provision.
Really, I have to pray. I am so desperate and needy for God that I have to seek Him with all my being.
What about you? Will you join me?
C2015 Judy Douglass